Welcome to Bird Watching HQ!
My name is Scott, and however you found us, I’m glad you’re here.
Our mission is to help connect people to nature.
We do this by providing proven and effective ways to attract birds and other wildlife to your backyard. In a time when so many people are addicted to phones and screens, we adamantly believe that our mission and message has never been more important.
Here’s the thing:
If you can get excited about the birds that visit your backyard, then you will probably want to improve the natural habitat for them.
This means more native trees, shrubs and flowers. Instead of just a monoculture of grass that is full of pesticides, I hope that you decide to transform parts of your yard back to a more natural habitat, which help you attract butterflies, bees, bats, reptiles, amphibians, and many more, in addition to birds.
“No one will protect what they don’t care about; and no one will care about what they have never experienced” – David Attenborough
I started Bird Watching HQ in 2016. At the time, I had a baby daughter, which meant I was at home way more often than ever before. Since I couldn’t take off on hiking or kayaking trips like I used to, I decided to try and transform our 1-acre suburban backyard into a more wild place. This is when I put up my first bird feeder to see if I could attract any birds.
To my amazement, within 24 hours, we had American Goldfinches, Black-capped Chickadees, and Northern Cardinals eagerly visiting. From there I was hooked!
To learn a bit more, check out this interview from PBS:
Please know that I am not an expert!
But I am someone who is passionate about bringing more nature into my backyard and was frustrated by the lack of consolidated information that could be found online.
I have a long way to go, but I am learning an incredible amount every day, which serves as the basis for what typically gets shared and written about on Bird Watching HQ.
Currently, there are over 100 articles available to read, and the database is growing each month.
I know that is a lot of information and it’s hard to know where to start.
- If you don’t do anything else, make sure to see the webcams that I have set up that watch my feeding station 24/7!
Subscribe to my email list.
In addition to feeding birds, here are some of my other interests:
- Hiking: My favorite hike is the one that doesn’t end.
- Penguins: My goal is to travel the world to observe all 17 species. Currently, I am at a big ZERO. But I’m hoping to change that in the next few
- Entrepreneurship: The best part about Bird Watching HQ is that it combines my love of nature along with my passion for starting and growing businesses.
- Jurassic Park: I have read the book at least ten times. “Life Finds A Way” is one of the best quotes of all time.
- Disney: Our entire family is a bit of Disney nuts, especially my wife. The parks, the movies, and the business. I even love reading Walt Disney biographies.
Thanks again for visiting.